12.07.2008

Number One - Eminem

Typically, I don't like rap. One of the only rappers I've ever listened to with regularity (something that's not played on the radio constantly) is Eminem. Maybe because of how commercialized/common he was while I was in my angry-adolescent phase and how "cool" it was to like him. Anywho... his new song leaked on the internet about a week ago. (I don't understand why they use the word leaked - why not just state it as it is: "Eminem or one of his people decided it was time for the public to care about his music again and released it exclusively for internet usage.")

After giving it a listen, I'm positive it is not the best music he has ever done. Which means, in my eyes, he has already failed at his mission of 'reminding everyone how well he raps'. If you ignore the random and multiple outbursts of talking throughout the song by Dr. Dre?, the chorus is extremely hard to make out and consists of Eminem using his funny voice (which is what I have dictated his tone/pitch based on the first popular use of it in the song Just Lose It where he has the comical Pee-Wee Herman laugh). The song has been given credits of being produced by Dr. Dre, while the singing is Eminem. While listening, it seems as though Dr. Dre did as much singing (if not more - considering most of Eminem's vocals are the chorus) and I always thought of producers as a behind the scenes, silent partner, moral support character - guess I was wrong in the world of rap.

In a nut shell, I don't think this song is what he should have sent out in order to grab the attention of his fans (or former fans, seeing as how long it's been since his last song) and recreate a "need" for his rap. Sorry Marshall.

Here's the song if you want to listen for yourself.

Gabby GG

No comments: