12.30.2008

Who...What is Twilight?

Ok, I do know what Twilight is. I do not, however, see the appeal in it. I first heard about the series while reading through Clever Girl Goes Blog (I'm pretty sure it was before the movie came out... maybe) and I thought it sounded like something that would completely disinterest me. (I've never been a fan of sci-fi or fantasy - both of which I think these books fall under). Soon after, the crazyness of the Twilight movie and Rob Pattinson was everywhere.

I have issues with both.

To start, the movie and books. Everyone I've talked to in the last 2 weeks has devoted days to reading this series of books and raves about how amazing it is. "I spent most of the time rooting for them to kiss, rather than enjoying the rest of the story" is a response I received when I asked why they liked the book so much. This made me think - is this story just a guilt free, romance novel that you can feel more confident/comfortable telling people you read than something with Fabio on the cover (which, of course, is something you hide under your mattress and never admit to). I guess I can't really criticize a book I've never read, but I plan on keeping my Twilight virginity based mainly on the fact that everyone and their mom has fallen in love with it (call it rebellion, call it stubborn... whatevs).

Rob Pattinson. Why all the fuss? Before his most recent (much needed!) hair cut, he did not ooze attractiveness whatsoever. He almost looks like a disheveled, thinner version of Ed Westwick (Chuck Bass) without the rich, bad-ass attitude. Not to mention, I hear his performance in Twilight left some to be desired (which went mostly unnoticed because of the infatuation with the character he played).

I'm hoping that by the time Twilight 2 comes out, most of the hooplah has died down about the story and Rob Pattinson has proven himself disrespectful to women or animals or a bigot so that his face and name is not plastered everywhere I turn.

Gabby GG

No comments: